Whether you're an experienced boxer interested in becoming the next UFC champion, a young professional trying to get in shape or you're someone looking for an effective martial art that will actually save your life, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is a worthwhile investment.
Here are 5 reasons why you should consider studying Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
1. It works - Navy Seal Jocko Willink said that outside of having a gun, the first martial art to learn was Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He explained saying "Because it's going to teach you how to handle yourself in that combative situation gets into a grappling scenario and you're on the ground and you need to get up and get away and protect yourself while you're on the ground.
2. Athletic and Health Benefits - In a Huffington Post article, one writer mentioned that she started classes at the age of 49. After some initial difficulty, she noticed that she was in better physical condition, and she had better coordination. In fact, while conditioning for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, practitioners find themselves losing weight in the process.
3. For everyone - This is definitely a martial art for everyone, of every age and sex. You're never too young or old to try it. One of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu’s pioneers practiced until his death at 95 years of age. So you're definitely not too old to learn.
4. Make Friends and Connect With Practitioners Worldwide - BJJ is a language that is understood in many countries in the world. When you travel, you have the ability to train with other practitioners and make new friends.
5. Exciting and Fun - You're training, learning and engaged in combat. You're pushing your mind and body to new levels. All of this is exciting and it makes BJJ extremely fun.
While Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a martial art, it is one that has a number of benefits to improve a practitioner's life holistically.